Banks Power’s latest Derringer inline tuner is now available for the 2017-2018 Chevy/GMC 2500/3500 6.6L Duramax L5P.
The Derringer tuner — When it comes down to it, you want a real L5P tuner. You want something that makes big power and doesn’t kill your truck. After all, you just spent a lot of money on that beast. The Banks Derringer L5P tuner is the only option you should be considering. Look, the other guys claim big numbers and we call bulls—t! We tested every other tuner on the same dyno, same day, same weather conditions, with the same technician… Same damn test, period! There’s only so much you can do by just intercepting the fuel rail pressure sensor. That’s where all the others fall short. The Derringer is the only tuner that actually utilizes your truck’s ECU to make intelligent calculations!
After months of testing, the results are in and we can’t wait to share them.
Check out the data below followed by the Derringer’s jaw-dropping list of features.
NOTE: Dr. Performance and Stealth share the same circuitry. Test vehicle: 2017-18 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually 6.6L Duramax L5P. Factory intake and exhaust. All tests run on the same truck, same day, same conditions. Tested on a Mustang Dynamometer, 10-second sweep.
The Derringer is available as a stand-alone tuner with power level switch or as a system with the iDash 1.8 Super Gauge. The Derringer with iDash system is available with data logging and without data logging.
How the Derringer does what it does, and why.
There’s no easy way to make more power your daily driven L5P with GM’s ECU and factory turbo, no magic flash or special “chip” available. We had to go the tuner route, and making an inline tuner for your truck was no easy task. We have almost a thousand man-hours into Derringer development. Fortunately, we’ve been making tuners for 20 years, so we know what we’re doing.
The Derringer is a plug-and-play microcomputer designed for easy installation, it’s waterproof for convenient under hood mounting, and connects to the iDash 1.8 Super Gauge for the ultimate in information and power selection, unlocking three additional power levels.
Unlike the fixed tuning used by others, the Derringer calibration is continuously adjusting to provide you the peak possible performance under every driving condition. By utilizing the power of the OBD-II data, the tuner intelligently fine-tunes its calibration on the fly without you having to change its power level.
- Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) – The Derringer senses your engine’s EGT and intelligently modulates fueling to maintain a safe maximum EGT, protecting your turbo and engine.
- Altitude compensation – The Derringer senses ambient air pressure, controlling the turbocharger to maintain added boost and power as altitude increases.
- Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Regen – The Derringer tuner constantly monitors your DPF regen status and will optimize its calibration to ensure the regen process completes successfully.
- Accelerator Pedal Monitoring – The Derringer senses accelerator pedal position to roll in additional power progressively, optimizing part-throttle fuel economy and giving max power when you ask for it.
- Coolant Temperature Monitoring – The Derringer senses coolant temp to control added power. During warmup, no power is added below 120° F, then power is ramped in and fully available above 150° If the coolant overheats for any reason, the Derringer starts removing its power at 230° F and additional power is totally removed if you exceed 240° F.
- Full Power Timer – If set on Sport level, the Derringer allows for 30 seconds of wide open throttle before transitioning to the recommended power level for sustained tow/haul. (Our research has shown that the stock L5P when at full power will hit 1450° EGT and after a minute or so will pull out fuel to cool things down. So, we do the same thing.)
TransCommand® Active Transmission Safety System
In addition to AutoRate Adaptive Tuning, the Derringer utilizes key engine and transmission parameters to enhance shift performance and improve the longevity of your transmission. Because the competitors lack the essential OBD-II data, they always add power at wide open throttle—no matter what! This can cause excessive transmission slip, torque converter clutch slip and even 170 HP engine derates in order for the transmission to complete the shift. This harms the overall performance and degrades your transmission. The Derringer is meticulously calibrated and extensively tested to properly modulate power during shifting, optimizing performance and safety.
- Intelligent Shift Tuning – The transmission shift request signal is monitored to optimize the power level prior to the shift protecting the transmission, increasing shift speed and avoiding ECU power derates.
- Boost and Fuel by Gear – Gear based calibration allows for optimum traction and performance
- Torque Converter Clutch Slip Monitoring – The Derringer adjusts to modulate TCC slip to safe levels.
- Transmission Slip Monitoring – The Derringer adjusts calibration to modulate transmission slip to safe levels
The Derringer is the only tuner on the market to include ‘Active Safety’, an active failsafe system that utilizes bypass relays to smoothly transition your vehicle to stock power levels in the event of any trouble signs in the Derringer. The system constantly monitors various parameters at over 50 times a second to ensure that everything is operating as it should. If any competitive tuners lose power or fail in any way, they will instantly trigger a “limp home” mode where all power is lost and the vehicle dangerously slows to a crawl. If the same fault condition occurs to the Derringer it will gracefully remove its additional power and return to stock power levels without a hitch.
- Internal self-diagnostics checks health of the system 50 times per second
- Monitors MAP and FRP signals for out of range condition (disconnected or short circuit)
- Watchdog timer constantly monitors CPU activity
- Active safety engages if 12-volt power is lost to the Derringer tuner
- Simple plug and play installation with easy removal for dealer service
- Warranty friendly: no reflash required and no traces left in ECU
- 3 power levels with on the fly level changing (with switch)
- Rugged waterproof design
- LED Derringer status indicator
- CARB EO applied for
Additional Features with iDash 1.8
- 6 power levels with on the fly level changing using iDash
- Optimized Derringer layout to view vital data
- Regen status displayed over power level when Regen is active
- Power added bar graph shows Derringer power being added
- On-screen Derringer Status Indicator
- Datalog up to 100 Derringer, engine or transmission parameters through microSD card
- Corrects MAP and FRP parameter to accurate readings
- Update Derringer software and calibration through iDash 1.8 using microSD card
- Expand system with other Banks Bus products
- Ambient Air Density Module
- 4-CH Analog Sensor Module*
- 4-CH Thermocouple Module*
- Advanced Water Methanol Module*
- More coming soon
*Module coming soon
Stock L5P Turbo Limits
The factory turbo is done at 505 flywheel hp, that’s a gain of 60 horsepower. Above that point, the turbine drive pressure increases dramatically as does EGT and no more boost is available to safely add horsepower. Anyone who claims to deliver more doesn’t understand this engine.
- Derringer connects to your OBD-II port. It sees the whole picture.
- After thousands of man-hours on the dyno and crunching data in the engineering office, we had the best gains – 61 hp and 112 lb-ft of torque to the wheels.
- Derringer delivers 505 hp and 1001 ft-lb of torque at the flywheel!
- Only $479. Less than $8 per hp
The Derringer L5P is the most sophisticated inline tuner available for the Chevy/GMC 2500/3500 6.6L Duramax L5P. We hope you have as much fun driving with it as we did making it.