Banks High-Flow Boost Tubes 2011-2012 Chevy/GMC Turbo-Diesel Pickup Trucks
Please read through the following instructions thoroughly before starting your installation. If you have any questions please visit our Support Page.
- 3/8 Drive ratchet
- Ratchet extension
- Inch and metric deep sockets
- Philips and flat blade screwdrivers
- Highly Recommended Tools:
- Foot-pound torque wrench
- Inch-pound torque wrench
This product is still in development and this manual may change at any time prior to release.
General Installation Practices
1. Before starting work, familiarize yourself with the installation procedure by reading all of the instructions.
2. Before starting work, familiarize yourself with the installation procedure by reading all of the instructions.
3. Disconnect the negative (ground) cable from the battery (or batteries, if there are more two) before beginning work.
4. Route and tie wires and hoses a minimum of 6″ away from exhaust heat, moving parts, and sharp edges. Clearance of 8″ or more is recommended where possible.
5. When raising the vehicle, support it on properly weight-rated safety
stands, ramps, or a commercial hoist. Follow the manufacturer’s safety
precautions. Take care to balance the vehicle to prevent it from slipping or
falling. When using ramps, be sure the front wheels are centered squarely on the topsides. When raising the front of the vehicle, put the transmission in park (automatic) or reverse (manual), set the parking brake, and block the rear wheels. When raising the back of the vehicle, be sure the vehicle is on level ground and the front wheels are locked securely.
Caution! Do not use floor jacks to support the vehicle while working under it. Do not raise the vehicle onto concrete blocks, masonry, or any other item not intended specifically for this use.
6. During installation, keep the work area clean. Do not allow anything to be dropped into the intake, exhaust, or lubrication system components while performing the installation, as foreign objects will cause immediate engine damage upon start-up.
Section 1: General Assembly
Section 2: Remove Air Cleaner Box, Baffle & Fender Liners
1. Disconnect the ground cables from both the driver and passenger side batteries.
Position the loose cables so that they do not come into contact with their respective battery posts during the installation.
2. Remove air cleaner box assembly.
Loosen the hose clamp from the stock intake tube and separate the stock intake tube. Remove the Air Flow (MAF) sensor connector from the stock air cleaner box filter cover. Remove stock air cleaner box by lifting the air cleaner box up and out. The bottom of the stock air cleaner box is held in place by rubber grommets. There may be some slight resistance when removing the stock air cleaner box.
NOTE: Be careful not to damage the connector or the MAF sensor. The number of sensors may vary with the model year.
3. Remove the upper grill baffle.
Remove the upper grill baffle that mounts between the grill and radiator cross brace. The baffle is held in place by push-in retainers. The retainers are removed by pulling up on the center pin, then prying the retainer out of its hole.
4. Remove the inner fender liners.
Remove the pushpin fasteners and bolts from both driver and passenger side fender well. Remove the fender liners.
5. Remove the air cleaner box support bracket.
Remove the three-bolt located in the passenger fender well as shown in Figure 3. Remove the two bolts located next to the coolant reservoir leg, and the two bolts on top of the bracket as shown in Figure 4. Pull the bracket down and out towards the rear of the vehicle to remove.
NOTE: The fasteners are accessed through the wheel arch opening. wheel arch opening. Pull the fender liner down approximately 6 inches once the fasteners are removed. Disconnect the wire harness retaining clips on top of the fender liner, and then remove the fender liner from the vehicle.
Section 3: Install Driver Side (Left) Banks High-Flow Boost Tube
1. Loosen driver-side stock boost tube hose clamps on the turbo outlet and intercooler inlet.
NOTE: The factory couplings and clamps will no longer be needed.
2. Pull the stock boost tube out from the top of the engine.
3. Install silicone hose five onto the intercooler inlet side of the tube with both T-bolt Clamps eight & nine oriented as shown in Figure 1 (Diagram) and Figure 5.
4. Insert the lower driver’s side boost tube (item #5b) through the fender well and into the intercooler hump hose (item #8). See Figure 1.
5. Install hump hose (item #8) onto the lower boost tube with clamps (item #12).
6. Install transition hose (item #7) onto the turbo outlet with clamp (item #10 & #11).
7. Install the upper driver’s side boost tube (item #5a) into the turbo outlet transition hose (item #7), and into the hump hose (item #8) connecting to the lower boost tube.
8. Ensure the boost tube has adequate clearance from all surrounding components. Use a 7/16” or 11mm socket to torque the four T-bolt clamps to 5ft-lbs (60 in-lbs).
9. Relocate ECU harness. The passenger side boost tube may pinch the orange ECU harness once installed.
10. Unhook the two clips on the top, and one on the side, that hold the protective baffle above the ECU connections as shown in Figure 8.
11. On the innermost connector, slide the red locking tab up and swing the connection hinge up and out to release the connector.
Reroute orange harness line above the high-pressure line and black wire loom. Reconnect the ECU and protective baffle.
Section 4: Install Passenger (Right) Side Banks High-Flow Boost Tube
1. Remove intake air temperature sensor.
2. Loosen passenger side stock boost tube retaining rings on the throttle body inlet and intercooler outlet.
3. Use a small screwdriver to rotate the retaining ring to release the tube from the throttle body inlet, and then remove the stock boost tube.
4. Install silicone hose 6 onto the throttle body inlet with corresponding T-bolt Clamps 8 & 9. See Figure 1 (Diagram) and the figure above.
5. Install silicone hose 4 onto the intercooler outlet with the corresponding T-Bolt Clamps 9 & 10. See Figure 1 and Figure 13.
6. Insert the passenger side Banks High-Flow Boost Tube, ensuring the correct ends go on their respective hose (See Figure 1).
7. Ensure the boost tube has adequate clearance from all surrounding components and use a 7/16” or 11mm socket to torque the four T-bolt clamps to 5ft-lbs (60 in-lbs)
Section 5: Reinstall Air Cleaner Box, Baffle, and Fender Liners
1. Re-install air cleaner box support bracket and air cleaner box.
2. Re-install the intake temperature air sensor.
3. Secure IAT sensor harness.
4. Install the upper grill baffle and secure it with the push-in retainers that were previously removed.
The push-in retainer with the center pin pulled out. Once the retainer is inserted, press the center pin down to secure the retainer.
5. Install the driver side and passenger side fender liner.
The charge air temperature before the intercooler approaches 400˚F at full load. So, take care to route wiring away from the driver-side boost tube and re-install the factory wire retainers on the fender liner.
6. Re-install the connector on MAF sensor at the air cleaner box assembly.
7. Re-connect the ground cables on both batteries.
CARB EO Label
For smog check purposes, affix the CARB E.O. Label on a visible location under the hood. Banks recommends using the radiator shroud location.