Banks Monster Exhaust® System 1987-2001 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L, XJ
Please read through the following instructions thoroughly before starting your installation. If you have any questions please visit our Support Page.
Bill of Materials
General Installation Practices
1. For ease of installation of your Banks system, familiarize yourself with the procedure by reading the entire manual before starting work.
2. The exploded view above provides only general guidance. Refer to each step and section diagram in this manual for proper instruction.
3. Throughout this manual, the left side of the vehicle refers to the driver’s side and the right side to the passenger’s side.
4. Disconnect the ground cable from the battery (or batteries, if there are two) before beginning work.
5. Route and tie wires and hoses a minimum of 6” away from exhaust heat, moving parts and sharp edges. Clearance of 8” or more is recommended where possible.
6. When raising the vehicle, support it on properly weight-rated safety stands, ramps, or a commercial hoist. Follow the manufacturer’s safety precautions. Take care to balance the vehicle to prevent it from slipping or falling. When
using ramps, be sure the front wheels are centered squarely on the topsides; put the transmission in the park; set the hand brake; and place blocks behind the rear wheels.
CAUTION! Do not use floor jacks to support the vehicle while working under it. Do not raise the vehicle onto concrete blocks, masonry or any other item not intended specifically for this use.
7. During installation, keep the work area clean. Do not allow anything to be dropped into intake, exhaust, or lubrication system components while performing the installation, as foreign objects will cause immediate engine damage upon start-up.
• 1/” and 3/8″ drive ratchets with inch and metric sockets and 1/4″ and 3/8″ drive extension
• Inch and metric combination or open-end wrenches
• Standard screwdriver
• Standard and needle-nose pliers
• Reciprocating saw
• Clean shop towels or rags
Highly recommended tools and supplies:
• Inch-pound and foot-pound torque wrenches
• Compressed air source and hose
• Air pressure regulator
• Penetrating oil or light lubricant spray
1. Disconnect the negative (ground) cable from the battery (if there is more than one battery, disconnect both negative cables.) Secure the cable so it cannot accidentally come in contact with the post.
Do not use floor jacks to support the vehicle while working under it. Do not raise the vehicle onto concrete blocks, masonry, or any other item not intended specifically for this use.
The following steps may require the use of a torch and/or saw. Proper safety equipment should be used. Failure to use proper safety
equipment may result in severe injury.
2. Raise the vehicle on a hoist or safety to provide access to the exhaust system.
Support it securely
with properly weight-rated safety
stands, ramps, or a commercial hoist.
Take care to balance the vehicle to
prevent it from slipping or falling.
When using ramps, be sure the wheels
are centered squarely on the topsides.
Place the transmission in park
(automatic), set the parking brake, and
securely block the wheels that are on the ground.
3. From under the vehicle, remove the factory exhaust system from the catalytic converter back. (If applicable, be sure to remove the oxygen sensor before operating the saw or torch.) Cut the tailpipe at the junction of the muffler and the converter leaving about 2 1/2″ minimum on the converter.
NOTICE: Be careful not to puncture or damage the catalytic converter during the removal process.
4. Starting at the rear of the vehicle, remove the exhaust clamp from the tailpipe hanger and the hanger pin from the rubber hanger. O.E. rear tailpipe hanger and rubber hanger will be re-used. (Spray lubricant will ease hanger pin removal.)
5. Install the Banks Monster Muffler onto the catalytic converter. Be sure the muffler inlet is facing towards the catalytic converter. Position the muffler so that it is straight and level with the vehicle with the Banks logo facing downward. Loosely install the supplied 2 1/4″ clamp onto the muffler and catalytic converter connection.
6. Remove the plug from the pre-installed bung fitting, and reinstall the oxygen sensor as shown.
For models with the oxygen sensor on the catalytic converter, proceed to step 7. All others, proceed to step 10.
7. Locate the supplied Banks tailpipe. You will need to cut off the end that fits the muffler outlet side.
8. Measure 2 1/2″ on the side that connects the muffler outlet and the mark location.
9. Take time when measuring and cutting the tailpipe to ensure proper location and a straight cut.
The improper cut will result in the poor fitment of the Banks Monster Exhaust system. Using
a reciprocating saw, cut the tailpipe.
10. Install one of the supplied 2 1/2″ clamps onto the muffler outlet. Install the front tailpipe inlet into the muffler outlet and loosely tighten the clamp.
Connect the tailpipe hanger pin to the
factory rubber hanger. Slip the rear
tailpipe onto the front tailpipe and
install the other supplied 2 ½” band
clamp over the tailpipe hanger. Do not
tighten any of the clamps or fittings at
11. Install the supplied 2 1/2″ exhaust clamp onto the rear tailpipe hanger. Position exhaust the clamp as shown.
12. Position all the exhaust components such that all the hanger pins are parallel with the frame pins and all exhaust tubing is located properly.
Lightly tighten clamps to maintain position. All hangers should be hanging slightly forward to allow for heat expansion of the exhaust tubing.
13. With everything positioned properly, torque the clamps to 25-30 ft-lbs.
14. Reconnect the battery.
Start the vehicle and listen for exhaust leaks.
Tighten the clamps as necessary. Whenever possible, tack-welding slip connections to prevent disengagement is highly recommended.
NOTICE: The vehicle exhaust may smoke upon initial startup. This is normal, as grease is used in the tube bending process will burn off of the pipes.
15. The Banks Monster Exhaust system contains two Banks Power decals. For a clean factory look, it is recommended that the decals are placed above the “Cherokee” emblem on the passenger and driver-side front fenders.
16. Your Banks Monster Exhaust system installation is now complete!